Wednesday 5 February 2020

Shabby Chic Jar



On my blog today is my recyled jar using Lablanche shrink foils. I just love making things out of items you are going to throw out!











 Here are the materials I used to do it.

  -  Empty jar
-  Lablanche shrink foil for bottles and jars
-  Pot of hot water
-  Towel to dry
-  Silicone tongs
-  Heat gun
-  Chalk Paint in sage
-  White gesso
-  Paint brush
-  Hot glue gun and glue
-  Gel medium
-  Pentart rose gold wax 
-  Nuvo dries clear crystal drops
-  Twine
-  Flowers and leaves to decorate
-  Lace roses 
-  Pearl string
-  Pink Feather
-  Charms 
-   Glass cabochon


Here is how I made the jar.

First of all I made sure my jar was clean, I then put a pot of water and gently heated it until it was      hot enough for the shrink foil to work (it does not have to be constantly boiling) I then took the foil    of my choice and cut it to size, It has to be around 1cm larger than the top and bottom of the jar. Next  I took the jar holding the foil in place and dipped it a little into the hot water until the foil shrank to fit the bottom. Next I inserted the jar further in the water and shrank it some more. I dried the bottom with a towel then held it so that I could put the top of the jar in the water to shrink it all, (you will need to cut the excess foil from around the thread of the jar with a craft knife so that you can screw the lid on.) I used the same steps with the lid, holding the foil to the lid with tongs so that you do not burn your fingers. I painted the inside of the lid first with gesso and then the sage chalk paint and dried it with an heat gun. Now its time to decorate. First of all I glued the lace roses to the top of the lid as well as the pearl string using hot glue, I then  put a small amount of hot glue on top of the lid and attached the feather, next the loops of twine and pearls, I took a charm and painted it with white gesso then chalk paint and added Pentart rose antique wax, I did the same process for the metal charm on top of the lid. I cut a small image of a girl and used nuvo drops to glue it in place (this will dry clear) I also used the drops to fix the glass cabochon on top. I attatched some twine to the charm and also glued this in place on top followed by some flowers.The charms were fixed into place using gel medium it has a stronger bond than hot glue and is better I find for attatching metal pieces (it will dry clear). Next I took a brush with a small amount of gesso on and dry brushed over my lace roses and paper roses. Finally I added some Nuvo drops to my leaves and my jar was complete. I hope you enjoy my project !

See you soon.






4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You are so creative Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry I appreciate your lovely comment!x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Katherine!! thank you for sharing your blog! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Robin I am really pleased you like my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Dressing Table Makeover

Hello everyone I hope you are all safe and well. My dressing table and chair needed a make over so i gave them a new lease of life!...